Fennel is known for its distinct licorice flavor and aroma, but it can be used to promote a healthy respiratory system and digestion
With several health benefits dating back to ancient Rome, Fennel can be used to promote healthy digestion and respiratory function.
Fennel, an evergreen perennial, can grow up to six feet in height and has delicate, feathery leaves. It dates back to ancient times when Roman warriors consumed Fennel to make them strong and ready for battle.
Fennel is native to the Mediterranean. Nowadays, it grows in vegetable and herb gardens. Fennel plants produce flowers, fragrant leaves, and fennel seeds. The essential oil is from the seeds. Fennel has a potent aroma and distinct flavor so, it has been used for years in the culinary world to add savor and spice to a variety of dishes.
Fennel essential oils promote healthy digestion. Similarly, it supports the respiratory tract and can be added to water or tea to help fight sweet tooth cravings. Fennel promotes healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation.
The unique, sweet scent of Fennel oil blends well with spicy essential oils like Cinnamon. So, you can also bring out the bright, sweet notes of citrus essential oils like Lemon or Petitgrain by blending them with Fennel essential oil.
Fennel Uses and Benefits
- Take internally to support healthy respiratory function.
- Want to fight sweet tooth cravings? So, Put a drop of Fennel in water or tea.
- Add 1–2 drops in a veggie capsule to promote digestion.
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Supports a healthy respiratory system
- May help promote healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation
- So if you want to harness the flavor of Fennel in your cooking, consider adding a toothpick’s amount to homemade sausage or soup for an authentic anise flavor
- Applied topically, Fennel oil can be calming and soothing to many areas of the body, including the skin.
- Need an extra push to get things done? So, diffuse Fennel essential oil. It can help give you the sense of focus needed to be productive
doTERRA Essential Oils
I recommend only one brand of essential oils. So, please do not use these tips if you are going to go out and buy the cheapest brands that you can find.
When it comes to essential oils, you get what you pay for. There’s hardly any regulation on the essential oil market so you have to do your due diligence when purchasing oils.
After research, I fell on doTERRA. DoTERRA holds themselves to the highest purity and safety standards on the market. Plus, they hold themselves to fair trade and sustainability practices.
You can learn more about doTERRA’s CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) standards on my blog post about it.