Is it safe to use Peppermint and Eucalyptus essential oils on kiddos? I personally think that it is safe, but guess what?? If you don’t agree, that’s 100% ok — there are alternatives! And that main alternative? Answer: Spearmint Essential Oil.
If a recipe or a protocol with essential oils calls for peppermint, but you want something a little gentler, you can pull out Spearmint. It covers a lot of the same issues but it’s not as harsh as the peppermint can feel sometimes.
Spearmint is a perennial plant that grows 11–40 inches tall and flourishes in temperate climates. It is widely used in gums, candies, and dental products for its minty taste, and to promote fresh breath. Spearmint has been used for centuries for its digestive benefits*. Its sweet, refreshing aroma is cleansing and uplifting, making it ideal to evoke a sense of focus and positive mood.
Spearmint is very different from Peppermint, making it a milder option to use on children and those with sensitive skin. In cooking, Spearmint is frequently used in salads, drinks, and desserts, but it can also be used in homemade salad dressings and to marinate meats.
But are you curious how *I* use it the most?
Let’s get personal – my monthly cycle, yup, my period. I hate those pesky cramps (although they are MUCH more manageable now that I’ve been taking Phytoestrogen for awhile). I love using a couple of drops of each Spearmint and Marjoram essential oil with some carrier oil and I apply topically to my abdomen as needed. It’s wonderful for soothing my muscles, bring a healthy balance to my hormones, and making me feel like myself.
So go try it!!!
Below you’ll find a variety of popular uses for spearmint <3
Spearmint Uses & Benefits
- Promotes digestion and helps reduce occasional stomach upset*
- Apply to your abdomen with Marjoram and a carrier oil to help support healthy hormones – especially when you have muscle tension during your monthly cycle.
- Promotes a sense of focus and uplifts mood
- Add a drop of Spearmint to your toothbrush or mouthwash!
- Cleanses the mouth and promotes fresh breath
- Use Spearmint essential oil in the kitchen! It’s a wonderful way to flavor dishes – think mojitos!
- Diffuse to uplift mood
- Add a drop or two to any dessert, drink, salad, or entrée for flavoring and to promote digestion*
- For occasional stomach upset, add 1–2 drops to water and drink*
doTERRA Essential Oils
I recommend only one brand of essential oils. Please do not use these tips if you are going to go out and buy the cheapest brands that you can find. When it comes to essential oils, you get what you pay for. There’s hardly any regulation on the essential oil market so you have to do your due diligence when purchasing oils. After research, I fell on doTERRA. DoTERRA holds themself to the highest purity and safety standards on the market -plus they hold themselves to fair trade and sustainability practices.
You can learn more about doTERRA’s CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) standards on my blog post about it.