Opportunity for Impact
Make this Christmas season different by making a difference. Try celebrating Christmas by choosing gifts that give back. Let’s take a look at a few numbers….
The United Nations estimates that it would cost $30 billion/year to end world hunger. (1)
In the United States (according to Forbes) alone we spend about $1 trillion on holiday spending.(2)
So let that sink it….Think about what even a fraction of that money could do if we all decided to donate even just a portion of that money.
- If we all donated 100% of our holiday spending money we could theoretically end world hunger for 33 years!
- We could all portion off as little as 3-4% of our holiday cash and end one year of world hunger at a time.
YOU have the opportunity to make a world impact with your purchases.
There’s a lot of different stats out there so I’ll share a second scenario with more conservative numbers. According to ABC news, we spend about $465 billion on holiday gifts and items each year. (3) So even with this smaller number we could end world hunger for 15+ years or portion off 7-8% for one year at a time. Either way the numbers go, we have a big opportunity here.
Christmas Gifts That Give Back
Now we all like to give gifts to our families and friends for Christmas. I’m not advocating that everyone completely give up their Christmas. But maybe we can buy a few of our gifts from companies that give back?
Think about what you want to support:
- Do you want to support families in third world countries by donating sheep or a flock of ducks or even a hive of bees? I bet it’s cheaper than you think.
- Do you want to buy your wife or mom a pretty necklace but it be made by people in desperate need of jobs in developing countries?
- Do you want to buy a sustainable product from a developing country and to find a company that also build up the communities surrounding their facilities or farms?
- Do you want a gift where all the profits are donated?
Think about what kind of impact you want your Christmas to make and whether you want an actual gift available for someone to open. Once you’ve decided what kind of IMPACT you want your Christmas to have you can move to my next portion of the post where I suggest a few companies.
The Mustard Seed Marketplace gives back in more ways than one. They give to many causes – sometimes it’s feeding the hungry, others it’s creating jobs for those overcoming sex trafficking.
This is a shop with many gift options including cute clothes, jewelry, home decor and more.
They have some cool options like this bullet casing necklace that provides 7 meals for children:
Hope Outfitters is one of those companies that give 100% of their profits to those in need. Every four months they choose a different campaign that supports hurting people all over the world. This faith-based shop has lots of clothing options for men, women, and kiddos. Most options are graphic tees or hats.
This is a great place to find gifts for the young men in your life. I find that it’s generally easy to find give-back gifts for women but not always for men. This shop actually has some pretty cool tees for guys. For more men’s tee options also try Unlock Hope.
Whether you want to donate a bee hive to someone in need or a a whole ark of animals, you can do so through Heifer International. You can even pay for a year of school for a girl in need.
And it’s so affordable.
- Honeybees >> $30
- Flock of Ducks >> $20
- Flock of Chicks >> $20
- Goat >> $120
- More animal gift options here.
Use some of your gift money towards a donation like this and then write a note (with or without a small token) saying that you gifted a family in need a gift that keeps giving. This is perfect those people that are hard to get gifts for because they “have everything.”
And this company only uses 5% for overhead administrative cost. They also have a few other gifts that give back in their marketplace like coffee, chocolate, ornaments, etc.
Consider getting a Goat shape ornament from Heifer and donate a goat and gift the ornament with a note about the donation. Your friend still gets to open a gift but the majority of the money went to someone in need.
Yup, you knew I was going to mention this one since it’s one that I’m so passionate about. DoTERRA is an essential oil company – but they are an essential oil company with a big heart for giving back. DoTERRA pays fair wages, cuts out the middle men, and then builds up the communities surrounding their farms and facilities. DoTERRA even has a foundation called the Healing Hands Foundation. DoTERRA covers 100% off the over head costs so that 100% donated to the foundation, ends up in the hands of those in need.
Healing Hands Foundation Gifts
- HOPE roller bottle ($20)
- Essential Oil blend of Fractionated Coconut Oil, Bergamot Fruit*, Ylang Ylang Flower, Frankincense Oil, and Vanilla Bean Absolute.
- Cost of the oil itself is covered by doTERRA so 100% of your purchase cost ($20 per bottle) goes towards an organization called the O.U.R. Rescue. This company, supported by the Healing Hands Foundation, is an organization of the world’s experts in extraction operations and anti-child-trafficking efforts who have come together to bring an end to child slavery and sex trafficking.
- Additional Info
- Rose Lotion ($20)
- This lotion is infused with Rose essential oil.
- Like the HOPE roller, 100% of your purchase cost ($20) is donated to the Healing Hands Foundation. The Healing Hands Foundation builds schools, digs wells, and gives micro-loans, etc to those in need all over the world.
- Additional info
- Emergency Relief Kits ($100)
- YOU will not get these kits. Your donation is taken to buy these kits to distribute to those in time of need. If a part of the world has suffered from a natural disaster, doTERRA sends a team with these kits to distribute. They even sent trucks-full to those in need in Texas after the hurricane this last September.
- Your $100 provides 4 kits including
- dōTERRA Melaleuca Touch
- Adhesive Bandages
- Deep Blue Rub Samples
- Salon Essentials Shampoo & Conditioner Sample Packets
- dōTERRA On Guard Toothpaste samples
- 1.4 oz dōTERRA SPA Serenity Bath Bar
DoTERRA strives to source as many of their oils through co-impact sourcing – so even just your normal oil purchases through doTERRA go to helping people in need.
See what Co-Impact Sourcing means:
See how doTERRA sources Wintergreen from Nepal.
This is a company you can purchase through to still get your family and friends beautiful gifts but still make a positive impact on the world.
Nooday’s mission is based on the verse Isaiah 58:10
“and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.”
This company provides much needed fair trade jobs for women all over the world. Consider getting a cute bag made in Nepal and pair it with a Nepalese bottle of Wintergreen for a cute gift pack.
You guys, their jewelry is REALLY nice and super cute and on trend. The pieces are so cool.
Many More Options
Here’s a variety of other shops that I think will help meet your needs. These shops carry a variety of fair trade gifts or gifts that give back. Most carry jewelry, clothes, and more.
- The Flourish Market – Clothing, Jewelry, and more
- Combat Flip Flops – pays for school for girls in Afghanistan
- Sasa Designs – Clothing
- Cause Gear – Clothing and bags
- Elegantees – Clothing made in Nepal
- Salt & Light – Clothing made in Nepal or the USA
- The Giving Keys – providing jobs for homeless and breaking cycles of generational poverty.
- Mexicali Blues
- Rahab’s Rope
- Bombas Socks – 1 pair of socks bought = 1 pair donated
- Thistle Farms – Apparel, Soaps and other Bath products, and more.
- The Elephant Pants – 10% given to help elephants plus they are super cute pants *wink*
What are your favorite Christmas Gifts that Give back??