We’ve been on a breakfast food kick. I’m not a huge fan of breakfast – but my husband and kids love a good breakfast. I’m working on my Miracle Morning and have been getting up earlier, so as a result I have more time and I end up making something in the morning. This morning I cooked up some apple sausage from the local farm, put out some strawberries and frosted blueberries, and I made our baking powder biscuits! I hope you like my yummy whole wheat biscuit recipe.
These biscuits are great with any meal. It’s a basic biscuit recipe that every home should be accustomed to baking. They are good with sausage, eggs, sausage gravy, dinners, and more.
This is one of those meals that the kids can easily help to make! They can measure out ingredients, pour ingredients, mix, roll out dough, and cut dough.
Yummy Whole Wheat Biscuits Recipe
- 2/3 cup Shortening (substitute with Ghee if you want a healthier alternative)
- 3 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder (choose an aluminum-free brand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (use Sea salt or Himalayan pink salt)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk (we use Whole milk)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix the Flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening (or ghee) until the mixture is just fine crumbs.
- Stir in milk slowly. Do not let the dough become sticky. Add just enough milk to make a nice easy to mold dough. If it become sticky, just add a dusting of flour. Go back and forth until you get the consistency you want.
- Lightly flour a surface. Light knead and fold the dough 8-10 times.
- Roll or pat down to about 1/2 an inch.
- Cut the dough with a biscuit cutter or small cup.
- Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet. I place my biscuits in a bowl with a tea towel.
Serve with ghee, butter, honey, apple butter, jellies, sausage…the list could go on and on! Enjoy!!